Friday 22 November 2013

Being Denied the Right of Reply.

I found another Faun track I liked on YouTube tonight. The record showed that it had 856 likes and 5 dislikes, and somebody had made the following comment:

‘5 people either have no taste or can’t hear well.’

Well, as you might imagine, I wanted to make a reply along the lines of:

‘… or maybe they just have different taste than you. Or even – heaven forbid – they’re as entitled to their opinion as you are.’

But I couldn’t because the tinkerers from Google in their infinite brain deadness have been tinkering again, and now a few of the comments still have a ‘reply’ button but most don’t. This one didn’t.

I wonder whether there’s some way that we citizens of the world might stop Google messing up things that worked fine before they came along. Could we send them to their room without supper, for example? Lock them in the nursery with only their building blocks for company until they’re disabused of their delinquent obsession with destructive tinkering? Hope springs eternal that people power might prevail in the end.

(Oh, and by the way, the person who made that comment had a profile pic in which she appeared to be striving to look like Boy George. I never could stand Boy George; he always seemed insufferably limp and unmusical to me. That’s more of an aside than an outcry, of course, and I’m entitled to my opinion.)

No comments: