Thursday 15 April 2010

Poorly Volcano, Poorly Me.

I’ve been feeling a little under the weather today. I woke up with a chesty cough, and that progressed to a tight chest, sore sinuses and a bit of a headache. It’s quite normal for me to get those symptoms whenever there’s a change in the weather, but there hasn’t been one. Then I read in the news that some volcano in Iceland had too much to drink a couple of nights ago, and proceeded to spew the contents of its innards twenty thousand feet into the air. The north easterly airflow did the rest, and now we have a blanket of volcanic ash sitting over the country. All British airports have been closed all day and are likely to stay that way until at least tomorrow morning. It’s too dangerous to fly over British air space, apparently. And it’s Scandinavia’s turn tomorrow.

5 comments:

ArtSparker said...

An English commenter remarked on a funny smell in London.

Róisín said...

We've been on stand by for the big cloud all day but it never showed up. Must've passed us by then so. I remember once as a child it rained one day and everything turned orange. It was around the same era as acid rain, but this time it happened to be sand from the Sahara. Something to do with the Sirroco wind and the Gulf Stream as far as I remember. Well, at least it didn't rain frogs. Poor wee critters.

JJ said...

Susan: Well now, London has a history of funny smells. Not as bad as New Orleans, but getting on that way. But maybe there was a connection. The meteorologists say the ash hasn't made landfall, so it probably has. I have every faith in them.

Roisin: Not even an Icelandic volcano would dare be sick on Ireland, would it now? Or mabe your little people and the trolls have some sort of accord. Or maybe you have the luck of the Irish. I really like the way you use the word 'so.' And your name kept jumping into my head when I was walking through the town today. I kept connecting it with fiddles. Maybe we should collect the volcanic ash and smoke it!

Charlotte Tea said...

Deary me, this explains my symptoms. Almost identical to yours and I was worrying. I too get splitting headaches at changes in air pressure. Hope you're feeling bettr soon (and me) :)

JJ said...

So now they're talking about the volcano's big brother next door possibly erupting. Great!

It's a bugger when you have to feel ill for a few hours or a day every time the weather changes, ain't it? And I thought it was only me.