Thursday 15 April 2010

I'm a Historical Figure at Last.

There’s a new series running on British TV. It follows the fortunes of a brave British family who have agreed to try living without modern gadgets for ten days. Back to the Stone Age, you might think. No; what they have to survive with are things that were available in the 1970’s.

The 1970’s!!!

The 1970’s surely weren’t that long ago, were they? Seems they were, and I expect everybody under the age of thirty two will agree. I made an inventory. I looked around the house to see how many things I have that weren’t available before 1980. There was my CD player, which hasn’t worked for ten years, my DVD player, which I haven’t used yet, and my PC. That’s it. So it seems that not only do I remember the Stone Age, I’m still living in it.

No doubt they will soon be making documentaries about people who remember the 1970’s, like they used to make documentaries about veterans of the Great War. Maybe they will come and interview me. I will be able to wobble my jowls, look knowingly over the bags supporting my eyes, and talk dreamily about bell-bottom trousers, Abba and the Falklands War. I might even fall asleep during the interview, and the sound recordist will be heard to mutter ‘Poor old sod. Seen a lot, this bloke. Living history, eh?’

Or maybe the programme makers are getting just a little bit short of material.

3 comments:

Shayna said...

I bet the producers will be watching the show you're on and they'll be so impressed with the words you do actually utter - that they'll give you your very own show - and there'll be NO escaping the millions of dollars you'll make - either that or your gifts for being on the show will be the new improved versions of cd/dvd player and computer. (~¡~)

JJ said...

Well thanks, Shay. A lifetime's supply of a good malt would do. Wouldn't cost much, would it?

Shayna said...

Depends on how much malt is needed, I suppose. I'm sure you can strike a dandy bargain with those producers.