Thursday 22 April 2010

Bathory Syndrome.

So, here’s what happened.

I had every intention of writing the Big, Serious Animal Post today. Fate is no respecter of intentions, however, and circumstances – some foreseen, and some not – kept me very busy until late. I started the BSAP, but it’s proving to be rather long and I intend to finish it tomorrow. The best I can hope for, given the way it is at the moment, would be half a dozen comments carrying infinitely inventive variations on the general theme ‘Sorry. Couldn’t get past the first seventy five paragraphs.’ I think I would be quite pleased with that.

But there was one big, spooky coincidence today. Remember that unsettling business with the broad beans? Well, I also planted some runner beans, far earlier than is recommended, in the greenhouse, and they started to push through today. I wondered whether I should risk googling 'Runner Bean.' Risk? My middle name! So I did. This is what Wikipedia had to say.

‘The runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus) has many culinary uses, as well as excellent nutritional value. It is especially recommended in vegetarian diets. A word of caution has to be given, however, since it is also known to have hallucinogenic qualities. The nature of the delusional psychoses it produces vary from person to person, but the one most commonly reported is the conviction that bathing in the blood of virgins prolongs, or even re-establishes, youthful good looks. This is known as Bathory Syndrome, after a notorious 16th century Hungarian countess who was eventually arrested...’

Well, it didn’t actually say that in as many words, but given my luck, I’ll bet it says something like that somewhere.

The radishes are growing well, too. I wonder what they do. Did they have radishes in Twilight?

***********************

Finally, and this has no relevance whatever to the silliness above, I would like to say hello and welcome to Jen Kach. Who are you, Jen? Clicking on your avi produced no evidence of a blog. Do you have one?

6 comments:

ArtSparker said...

I think the countess you are thinking of was acutally walled in and took her meals through a hole in the wall for the last decades of her life...

JJ said...

'You mean I'm right!?'
- The Rev Jim

Remember Taxi?

ArtSparker said...

The Blood Countess, I read a not very edifying book about her.

I haven't actually seen Taxi, a gap, I know.

Shayna said...

I imagine those beans would go well with potatoes and kale - give them a real edge.

Maria Sondule said...

Hey, thanks for commenting on my blog! I like yours too. You have a very unique writing style that just captures my attention, so I bet I would be able to get through your BSAP, even if it is 75 paragraphs long...
And no, there are no radishes in Twilight. I seem to remember a lot of eggs though.

JJ said...

Susan: I plucked the Countess rather out of the air. I read somewhere once that she is, very loosely, the inspiration for the Ingrid Pitt character in the Hammer film The Vampire Lovers. Never seen Taxi?! The Rev Jim (Christopher Lloyd) was one of the best comic characters ever written, in my opinion.

Shay: Sounds good. With a side dish of radishes, maybe? Hope the mountains are shining today. More later.

Maria: Good to see you. Where did you get your avi? It's interesting. Can't decide whether it's erotic or maternal. Maybe it depends on the viewer. 'Honi soit...' and all that.