Sunday 9 October 2022

Suffering Simulation Blues.

I’ve been taking further interest in the proposal – credited by many scientists, apparently, especially the quantum variety – that the reality in which we think we’re living is actually a computer-generated simulation. And the more evidence I’m presented with, the more inclined I am to think it might be right. And the more inclined I am to think it might be right, the flatter and more depressed it makes me feel because every prospect, however pleasurable or exciting it may be, deflates in the face of a growing  sense that it isn’t real.

I tell myself that we have to carry on as though it is real because there’s no escaping it, but life then becomes a falsehood and I hate falsehoods. I’m working on the problem and taking solace from the fact that when I get engrossed in a film or a book, it’s no different than being engrossed in life. It’s just engaging with a different simulation. It puts a whole new slant on the Walter Mitty phenomenon.

No comments: