Monday 31 October 2022

Samhain Notes.

Samhain is here again – the end of the harvest and the start of winter (according to the Celts). Today we enter ‘the darkest half of the year.’ Hades, here we come.

On a personal note, the health issues are making their presence felt and the old black dog is not merely snapping at my heels at the moment but leading the way with grim determination. Hence no blog posts for a few days.

For the sake of a bit of light entertainment, I just picked up some of my most-read posts from the stats file and re-read some of them. Most were from a purple period in 2017, shortly before the cancer diagnosis and kidney op. What a different polarity there was then. I was reminded of that line from a popular song:

… but how strange the change from major to minor

Did somebody say goodbye?

It might help that I’ve developed a sudden yen to read some John le Carré. I think I might have liked him, and I’m reliably informed that he was a much better writer than his choice of genre would normally suggest. Accordingly, I just ordered The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. The film adaptation is one of my favourites (and not only because Clare Bloom was in it, although her presence didn’t go unnoticed.)

1 comment:

Bree T Donovan said...

I very much enjoyed the Tom Hiddleston/Huge Laurie adaptation of The Night Manager a few years back.