Wednesday 19 October 2022

Glitches and Lost Connections.

I think I broke a record today. I’m quite sure I’ve never had a day when so many things failed, broke down, or went wrong one way or another, between 10am and 2pm. I decided that either some damn planet must be in catastrophic retrograde or the computer program running the simulation we call reality needs a re-install. I suppose I should be grateful for new experiences, even if they do lead to mounting frustration and the onset of yet more anxiety.

And I’m missing those three precious sources of incandescence which used to keep me warm during the dark times, by which I mean the Priestess, the Woman in America, and the Lady B. I’m tempted to conclude that it’s quite implausible to imagine that young women and old men can be good friends except in beloved movies like Cherry Blossoms. Young people’s lives move on, you see, and the old guy is left watching the wake being dispersed by the waves long after the ship has disappeared below the horizon.

I’m whingeing again, I know I am. My motto these days seems to be: ‘If all else fails, have a whinge.’ So here’s another one:

The cold October wind is loud and coming from the east tonight. And easterly winds are the most proficient at gaining access to my house even though the well-sealed windows and doors are firmly shut. It’s all to do with the roof over the kitchen, and the remedy would be far too expensive for a private landlord to contemplate.

10pm, the very witching time of night when churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out contagion to this world. Or, in my case, when I feel moved to allow myself a cup of hot coffee and a spinach sandwich.

No comments: