Sunday 29 September 2019

The Frowner.

I have a feeling that if ever the priestess and I do meet, she’s not going to like me.

‘You don’t look like Gregory House, do you?’ she asked me tonight. ‘He frowns a lot.’

How do I explain to her that no, I don’t look like Gregory House, and neither do I frown a lot. The fact is that I never stop frowning. I can’t because I’m a keenly aware and highly sensitive individual who has lived a chequered and somewhat unconventional life, the upshot of which has been that my frown lines began early and grew exponentially as each year passed wearily by. My frown lines now look like Clapham Junction from the air and there’s nothing I can do about it.

I do try, you know. Sometimes I look in the mirror and try to ameliorate them by stretching my forehead sideways, but trains could still run on them with consummate ease. They’ve even got points to ensure that the Eastbourne trains don’t accidentally end up in Southampton.

I suspect the only solution might be to treat them with embalming fluid, but I doubt such a product is easily purchased over the counter. Maybe I’ll pay a visit to the Co-op funeral parlour in Uttoxeter and ask whether they might decant a few fluid ounces into the little urine sample bottle I’ve had in my backpack ever since last year’s health issues were in full swing. I think it might be advisable to wait until the priestess’s visit is imminent, however. I hate to think that some unsuspecting funeral parlour receptionist might come over all queer when faced with such an unconventional request unless the balance of interests warranted it.

And all this does make me wonder just what other strange things people carry around in their bags. The next time I see somebody I know, maybe I should ask them:

‘Have you got anything strange in your bag?’

‘What sort of strange?’

‘Well, I’ve got a urine sample pot in mine. I’m keeping it in case I should need a little embalming fluid.’

No comments: