Tuesday 3 September 2019

DVD Dearth.

I’m running out of DVDs to wile away the lonely hours from the time when I stop communing with bats and trees to the time when I surprise myself by making it up the stairs en route to bed in one go. That’s about six hours at the moment and climbing.

I have only 20 minutes of The IT Crowd Series 6 left and there isn’t a Series 7. I have quite a few episodes of X Files still to watch, but I have a problem with X Files. American actors, especially the male ones, tend to mumble, and they compound the problem by doing so with an American accent. All of which means that much of the time I haven’t really got a clue what’s going on, so I’m watching it mostly for the visual effects – like the disembodied head rising out of the bathtub full of blood which Mulder found in the apartment of a man who had died six years earlier, but kept turning up to murder people so he could steal and eat their cancers. (Mulder did explain the rationale for that one, but he was mumbling too much so I didn’t quite catch it. If only they would dub the show into Urdu and add English subtitles the lonely hours would be a lot easier for me. The head floated, by the way. Do heads float? Cows’ heads don’t. I saw some looking up at me from the shallow water at the edge of a loch in Scotland once. I was eating my lunch at the time.)

And then there’s the documentary about Pharaoh Ramses II, which is also quite short at 45 minutes. I have high hopes that I might find loopholes in it which will give me some blogging material, but my fear is that there will be so many that the post will grow into an essay and I’ll give up halfway through. Apart from that I only have the second series of Broadchurch on the shelf, and Mel says it isn’t as good as the first.

Talking of which, I have an embarrassing task to perform in the coffee shop tomorrow and it’s all Mel’s fault. Have you noticed that women have a nice way of asking ‘could you do me a favour?’ and men always end up replying ‘oh, all right’?

No comments: