Friday 27 September 2019

Being Reminded.

I just watched the episode of Sherlock in which the intrepid detective attends John Watson’s wedding as best man. At the end of the episode we find ourselves at the post-reception hooley. The PA is playing a Bee Gees song and the attractive young woman who has been paying Sherlock so much attention all day is now dancing with another man. Sherlock realises that he is alone in a room full of people having fun, and leaves.

I’ve been there several times. It’s what comes of being a bit different and you get used to it. And it brought to mind an insignificant but mildly amusing memory.

It was in a city centre nightclub back in the days when I was younger than Sherlock Holmes. The DJ was playing lots of Bee Gees tracks that night. Marie Harrison was young, blonde and wearing a cheesecloth dress. She paid me a lot of attention all evening, and then disappeared.

The following day I pieced together what little she had told me about herself and set about tracking her down. I gate-crashed her next engagement and waited for her to notice me. Eventually she did, and then she approached me with peevish eyes and said ‘What the hell are you doing here? Would you like to come and meet my husband?’ Whoops.

It’s interesting to note that it was through that little adventure that I met the woman I was subsequently to marry. Doesn’t life weave interesting patterns? And the only interesting thing I subsequently discovered about Marie Harrison’s husband was that he liked his rice pudding served cold.

No comments: