Wednesday 4 September 2019

Clay Man Cometh.

I’m happy to report that I followed nearly every scene of tonight’s X Files.

No doubt it’s because it featured a Golem terrorising the bad guys, and I like Golems every bit as much as I dislike zombies. The thing is, you see, Golems and zombies have a lot in common, but there’s one major difference and it’s critical: the walk.

I’ve watched a few zombie films in my time. In fact, I do believe that the first horror film I ever saw at the cinema when I was doing the underage viewing thing (I did a lot of underage things when I was young enough to do so) was a Hammer film called… erm… something or other.

But it didn’t take me long to theorise that when the director called auditions for the crowd scenes, he did so with the express intention of picking the very worst actors so he could say: ‘Right, you’re now marching menacingly towards the prospective victims and I want you to do the silliest walk you can possibly imagine.’ And so they did, and every director of a zombie film since has followed the same ludicrous template, and generations of dumbass filmgoers have grown up thinking that silly walks are the epitome of cinematic horror (which makes me wonder whether zombies were deliberately designed to hold a mirror up to dumbass filmgoers. Clever, eh?)

But golems are different. They’re made of clay and silly walks don’t really sit well with things made of clay. They don’t have body parts either, so the studio saves money by not needing make up artists to make it look like they’re falling off. Clever, eh?

Shaun of the Dead is an exception, of course, because the whole thing is deliberately silly.

No comments: