Wednesday 25 September 2019

Being Ahab and Stuff.

The priestess has resurrected the idea of visiting me some time before Christmas. Seriously.

I’m happy to consent, but there’s something tantalisingly surreal about it. Here is a woman who, for nearly ten years, has invisibly occupied the centre of a triangle composed of equal parts myth, imagination and mundane reality, suddenly rising out of the depths like Moby Dick on a mission. Will it happen? Will I survive? Or will I play the tortured and vengeful sea captain, waving without volition as he is taken away to an alien dimension. 

In my case, however, the dimension might be anything but alien. I have no idea, but it’s exciting, isn’t it?

*  *  *

And I’ve come to the conclusion that I dislike gurus. People who claim to know what life is about and expect me to listen to them make me fractious.

*  *  *

My computer, my computer printer, and my TV all exhibited strange malfunctions this morning. I wondered whether the matrix was surely crumbling, but settled instead for blaming the heavy rain we were having at the time. Or maybe it was Mercury suffering a toothache. I know nothing.

*  *  *

Am I talking tripe? Do tell me.

(For those who don’t know, tripe is boiled cow’s stomach. It used to be a staple of the British working class because nobody with the money to afford proper meat would eat it, and so it was cheap. It’s become a byword for ‘rubbish.’ Feel free.)

No comments: