Wednesday 25 September 2019

A Note on a Name.

One of my favourite authors is the English short story writer, Algernon Blackwood. And it occurred to me today that, as far as I'm aware, I have never met anyone called Algernon.

I wondered why that should be. Certain old, long-established names like Edward and Thomas have maintained a regular presence in the lexicon of English forenames, but Algernon has disappeared. And then I remembered that Rupert Bear had a friend called Algernon, only they didn’t call him Algernon. They used the diminutive, Algie.

And that gave me the clue. Algie sounds a lot like algae, and algae are green, slimy growths which float on top of water and suffocate the fish. So if you were called Algernon it would be very likely that you would go into work and people would say things like: ‘There’s nothing green about you, is there Algie?’ and ‘Hey, Algie. Suffocated any fish today?’ and things like that. And that wouldn’t very nice, would it?

No comments: