Monday 23 July 2018

The Verdict on Black Monday.

Monday has now come, done its deed, and gone (nearly) and I suppose I ought to give the verdict on the day’s bitter business. Is it something like this…


Or this…

 
Not quite either, actually, for there was some good news and some bad.

The surgeon explained to me that damage to the bladder is not uncommon in kidney operations because the lining of the urinary tract extends from the top of the kidney to the tip of… the other bit at the other end. It appears that I have suffered no such misfortune. My bladder, it appears, is quite undamaged.

But then came the ‘ah, but…’ moment. There’s always an 'ah, but…’ moment. There has been at almost every stage of this damnable business and today was no exception. It seems there’s a clip inside my bladder – presumably a relic of the operation – and it shouldn’t be there. I’m told that it’s probably the cause of my persistent UTI which four courses of antibiotics have failed to fully clear up, and if it’s left in situ it will probably develop a stone (whatever one of those is, but it sounds painful) in time. So it has to be removed, which means I have to have another operation accompanied by certain of the nasties which are generally consequent upon procedures in that part of the anatomy. Oh, joy. And it’s considered fairly urgent which means that the operation will probably be some time next week. Oh joy of joys.

But still, the experience did offer the odd compensation or two. Since the anaesthetic was a local one I was wide awake, so I got to see the inside of an operating theatre for the first time. It wasn’t very prepossessing. It looked like a school classroom with a few bits of high tech gadgetry dotted about and some fancy ceiling lights. But it was still fun to see it from the patient’s position. In fact, I jabbered so much that the surgeon had to tell me to shut up so he could concentrate.

Other Notable Compensations:

One of the theatre nurses was Chinese! And I noticed that the type of pyjamas worn by theatre nurses show off the waggling of the bottom far better than the dresses which the ward nurses are rigged out in. And my minder nurse was a lovely young Polish woman called Marlena who had the most splendid tattoo on her upper arm. The subtle tonal variations were quite breathtaking. And she didn’t seem to have much else to do so she kept me company nearly the whole time, talking about Brexit, tattoos, and the effect female nurses can have on inadequate men who are scared stiff of hospitals. And the cheese and onion sandwich I bought for my lunch wasn’t quite as expensive as I thought it would be.

But no doubt tomorrow the prospect of another operation will begin to bite and gain strength as the intervening days go by. And I shall begin to wonder again: how will all his end? Will it be this…

 
Or this…


Or even this…

 
I have no way of knowing yet, so if I go quiet again over the next week please indulge me.

No comments: