Friday 20 July 2018

The Daily Metamorphosis.

I’ve occasionally mentioned on this blog that there are several different personality types occupying this worn out body of mine. I’m often reminded of the fact, and tonight it led me to realise how fortunate it was that in all my dalliances with young women I never had a one night stand. The poor unsuspecting girl would have gone to bed with a giggling garden gnome and woken up next to an irascible grizzly bear.

I realised something else, too. I realised why it is that I cannot bring myself to go to bed until the early hours of the morning no matter how hard I try. It’s because I like the person I am late at night and desperately want to put off the moment when I’ll have to wake up to the creature I've become in the morning.

And that’s why I get so miffed when the hospital calls me for appointments at about the time I would normally be waking up. It means I lose a good 2½ hours sleep the night before. But of course, there would be no point explaining all this to the Bureaucrats Who Make Appointments because it wouldn’t fit inside their box.

No comments: