Sunday 8 July 2018

Proud to be Human for Once.

I just read that four of the twelve boys in the Thailand cave have now been rescued and the operation is ongoing.

Why is anybody bothering to report this? What are the lives of a mere twelve boys worth? Twelve is a very small number – a tiny drop of water in the vast ocean of human population. So why bother?

Because every individual matters. Because the fear and anxiety of every one of their loved ones matters. And it matters big time. That’s why no effort, expense or risk has been spared in trying to bring these kids out of a very complex and dangerous situation.

This is the point at which the human animal finally proves its worth and flies in the face of the ego-ridden psychopaths running the world. I wonder how much emotional effort Trump expended on this situation – or Putin, or Erdogan, or Duterte, or Assad, or Netanyahu (should I stop there?)

For my part, I admit to sobbing stupidly when I read the news report. Not very man-like, is it? But at least it’s human when human is something worth being.

No comments: