Tuesday 31 July 2018

Gurdy Girl.

Following on from my discovery of Alina Gingertail (see a few posts ago), I’ve now found another little jewel in the YouTube musical chest. She calls herself Patty Gurdy, apparently after the fact that she plays the hurdy-gurdy (could there be any other reason to choose a name like Gurdy?) and she plays this little-known instrument exceedingly well. She also writes and arranges music exceedingly well.

The piece which follows is the one that exited my attention and brought me into the fold as a bit of a fan. There’s something dark, mystical and compelling about it. I find it bordering on hypnotic. In fact, if I were a film maker this would be the very music to suit the kind of film I’d be likely to make. It’s a bit weird, and I like weird. I also suspect that Ms Gurdy was probably a wood nymph in a previous life.

(And I think I should add that her legs had absolutely no influence whatsoever on my opinion of her music.)

No comments: