Thursday 17 May 2018

Thinking Ahead.

If there’s one thing that can be said about my life to date, it is that I always managed to say to people what I needed to say to them. With one exception. (I surely don’t need to identify the one to whom I refer, do I?)

I’m not sure that I like exceptions of that sort. It’s often said that a spirit with unfinished business is a restless spirit, and the last thing I want to be when I reach that stage is restless. I might become desperate and moan a lot in inappropriate places. People might feel it necessary to employ an exorcist of exceptional skill to rid their environment of my creepy and unwelcome presence, and then I would feel rejected and moan even more.

No, I want to sit peacefully on some grassy lea as the westering sun is setting, content with the company of a Shetland pony and a robin while the new lambs come to headbutt my shoulder just for the fun of it. I want to ride the back of a friendly dolphin to a sun-kissed isle where a thousand and one maidens await my need to explore. I want to climb a high mountain without growing tired and look out on a world which is more than two dimensional.

(Meanwhile, here in the lower Shire the hawthorn blossom is bursting forth and the landscape is liberally dotted with giant vanilla ice cream cones. I expressed my sincere thanks to them only this afternoon.)

Sometimes – mostly in the evenings – I feel that I am not healing me of my grievous wounds quite as well as might reasonably be expected. And so sometimes – mostly in the evenings – I wonder whether Avalon is not so far removed after all. But optimism tends to hold sway in the mornings.

Note:

Re-posted on 27th May.

This was written ten days ago but I decided I didn't want it on the blog. I've changed my mind now, since why should the effort of writing it go to waste? Much of the May blossom has faded in the interim, but the place still looks a picture.

No comments: