Saturday 26 May 2018

On Life and Small Things.

Being a confirmed devotee of the God of Small Things can have its down side as well as its up. On the one hand you can be thrilled by the sight of a moth feeding on a flower; on the other you can feel dreadfully hurt by the smallest perceived slight, like being summarily dismissed by the one person you really want to talk to. Brushed away like a speck of dirt on a new coat was how it seemed. It’s odd that I have often sailed through some big issues relatively unconcerned, but being brushed off by somebody with whom I have never had a true conversation, and who I only bump into about three times a year, bit deep. Oh, well; life moves on.

But today I received the long-awaited news: the Lady B has successfully produced the new life which she has been carrying and mother and baby are said to be doing well, if in need of some sleep. And it was a girl, as I always thought it would be.

‘You’re the only one who thought so,’ said the dear lady's dear mama. ‘Everybody else was sure it would be a boy.’

Being right about something doesn’t inflate my ego as it used to. I suppose that’s about life moving on, too.

No comments: