Wednesday 2 May 2018

Defined by Choice of Words.

We’ve had a wet night and morning in the Shire, but now the clouds are clearing and the sun is making an occasional appearance. The air flow, however, is still coming from a chilly north westerly direction. So how would most people describe that? They’d say:

It’s warm in the sun, but the wind is still cold.

This is the subjective view, the self-centric perception. Dear old JJ has to be different, of course. I would naturally say:

The sun has plenty of power now, but the ambient temperature is still low.

This is the objective view, the overview if you like. This is how I have to be, probably because I’m a natural outsider looking in. But it gets me strange looks occasionally. I suppose it sounds pretentious even though it isn’t; it’s just the way I see things. And it’s the more logical description. Yet still I feel the need to translate and say:

It’s warm in the sun, but the wind is still cold.

No comments: