Saturday 28 March 2020

Swedes Out of Line.

I understand that Sweden is taking a rather more relaxed approach to the coronavirus crisis than the rest of Europe. People are being advised to carry on more or less as normal, but to observe a range of relatively simple precautions. This is provoking heated debate there, with some arguing that the country will fare better this way in the long run, while others are getting very angry and claiming that Sweden is a major disaster waiting to happen. Time will tell, of course, and times might change everything.

Meanwhile, I heard this morning that road blocks are now being set up in Britain, and the army are starting to patrol beaches to disperse people. I wonder whether the Swedish official had a point when he said that locking people in is also bad for their health. Try arguing around that one. But Sweden always did have a reputation for introducing psychological implications to an argument where others are inclined to ignore them.

What continues to attract my attention is the fact that I’ve seen no reference anywhere to the plight of the homeless. With most catering establishments closed, I assume there will be far less gash food to scavenge. And how do you stop homeless people congregating? And will they receive the attention of the health services? Maybe I just haven’t looked hard enough.

No comments: