Sunday 8 March 2020

Relating.

I had two unexpected visitors today. The normal rate of unexpected visitors to my house is about one every ten years, so to get two in a single day is a little unusual. One was my ex, Mel, and the other was her friend Leila who has received mentions on this blog before.

Leila is the sort of person to whom extraordinary things happen, like the time she took a walk along a riverbank in the snow at around midnight, and an otter climbed out of the water and walked alongside her. Things like that don’t generally happen to human beings, and there is a generally held belief that Leila may not be quite human in the generally held sense of the term. In short, there is nothing identifiably general about Leila.

Fortunately we seem to get on very well, even though she is about the only person I know whose eyes I find almost impossible to interpret. They appear to have their genesis in some other realm or version of reality. Maybe it’s one with which otters are more familiar than me.

*  *  *

The second, relatively minor, mystery today was that my blog had a visit from Turkmenistan. How in earth anyone from Turkmenistan would find my blog, and why they should have chosen to visit it when they did, is a little baffling. ‘But why not?’ you might ask. I don’t know. I suppose it’s what happens when you’re baffled.

*  *  *

I woke up this morning feeling so scared that it felt like walking at night through a jungle infested with man-eating tigers. I’m not kidding; I was that scared. You tell me.

*  *  *

The weather being unusually clement this morning, I did a little manual work in the garden. It was the first this year. My chest felt ill the whole time, but the rest of me was OK.

*  *  *

I’ve started singing the White Tara mantra along with a YouTube video every night, and now I fear that if I stop she won’t like me any more. Wasn’t it ever thus? And Siegfried’s Funeral Music from Götterdämmerung continues to give me goose bumps.

No comments: