Monday 16 March 2020

Hints of History in the Gloom.

No posts from me today. Today has been tiresome and dispiriting. Members of the government have been running around like headless chickens over this Covid thing, encouraging the mass of the population to follow their lead and prepare the lychgates of Old England for a spell of overwork to rival the good old days of bubonic plague. Meanwhile, the staff in two separate departments of the Royal Derby Hospital seem incapable of co-ordinating the simplest of actions, leaving my immediate prospects hanging limply from the ceiling like a flaccid Christmas balloon. I have no idea where I am at the moment, or how to proceed in a productive direction.

In consequence, I feel frustrated and deflated. Tomorrow might be better or it might be worse or maybe I’ll forget how to wake up and that will solve everything at a stroke. Time will tell.

But I did have a visitor today. According to the pronouncements of headless chickens – presumably from the end not usually associated with the making of pronouncements (except in the case of politicians) – visitors are scary beings these days. In fact, they’re even threatening to ban them from that section of the population which most needs them. That should be fun. Make ready for the plague police, polish the bells, and prepare for the tolling.

*  *  *

Meanwhile, it occurs to me that the YouTube premium service is tantamount to a protection racket. ‘Give us money and we’ll keep the spam at bay.’ Back in 9th century Europe it was known as the Danegeld.

No comments: