Friday 20 March 2020

On Vanishing Treats and Toilet Rolls.

I’m becoming ever more curious about the fate of the country’s toilet roll stocks. The last four times I’ve been into Sainsbury’s the shelves which normally contain the paper products – toilet rolls, tissues and kitchen towels – have been conspicuously empty, so today I asked whether there’s a supply issue involved.

Apparently not. I was told that supplies are coming in every day, but they all disappear very quickly after being put onto the shelves. So, given the reasonable presumption that no more are actually being used, I can’t help wondering where they all are.

Are people stacking them in their living rooms, obstructing doorways and causing a fire hazard? Are children being evicted from their bedrooms and forced to sleep on floors and couches to make space for the precious articles? Are people taking second mortgages and having extensions built to provide additional warehouse space? Where are they all? I expect the burglars will stop taking gadgets, jewellery and money now and start drooling over 6 and 12 packs of toilet rolls instead. They’re going to need bigger vans.

*  *  *

Ashbourne was eerily quiet today. I wondered whether it was because people were afraid of contracting the plague, or whether they were all at home guarding the toilet rolls. And Costa coffee has closed its doors except for takeaway sales. That’s no use to me. My purpose in going into a coffee shop is to sit in a coffee shop and enjoy the ambience. It was my only treat.

4 comments:

Madeline said...

I was under the impression that they were all in bunkers. The UK has bunkers left over from the war. The US is full of bunkers built by crazy doomsday preppers (who I imagine are feeling very smug at this moment for their prediction that something bad will eventually happen).

Either that or people are eating them. Who knows. It's a whole new world.

JJ said...

Do we still have WWII bunkers? Didn't know that. I remember the air raid shelters which were still in situ at my primary school. They smelt of stale urine, which was odd because they weren't on any beaten track used by the drunks going home, and the school had passable toilet facilities. But I doubt that bunkers would be suitable for storing toilet rolls. Too damp. More likely they're being eaten, since carrots and potatoes are in short supply.

Good to hear from you, Mad. Really.

Madeline said...

You're probably right, if I can judge from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qocK6Td_VQ

We've been watching him build Saxon houses and Viking dwellings for several months now. It's strangely relaxing.

I'm glad you're still here writing. It's a weird time right now. Hope you stay well.

JJ said...

So the Saxons had houses but the Vikings merely dwellings? Makes you wonder how those northerners managed to invent Volvos and flat pack furniture, doesn’t it? They even have dinner parties in Sweden, you know. A person I know is currently working there and told me so. She is Chinese, admittedly, but I’ve no reason to disbelieve her. (Unless Chinese people count sharing a bag of pork scratchings in the pub a dinner party. They might, I suppose.)

Weird times indeed. This Covid thing is adding another layer of psychological pressure to that caused by the sudden cocktail of health problems which has descended over the past two years. I sometimes wonder if it matters whether I get through it or not. I expect I will.