Thursday 19 March 2020

The Mirror Image.

I just watched Brief Encounter again. Mel lent it to me because she thought I might like it.

Like it? I find it engrossing and disturbing in equal measure. It’s all so shatteringly familiar. I know the lines, the situations, the highs and lows, the feeling of being pulled apart by irresistible forces, and the sense of helplessness when faced with an impossible choice. But I saw it through to the end with nods and grimaces aplenty.

There’s a scene in which Celia Johnson is sitting in a train compartment looking out of the window into the darkness. Her face is reflected in the glass, reminding me that whatever we see when we look in a mirror, everybody else sees something different. Whether that fact is in any way relevant to the point, I have no idea.

No comments: