Thursday 19 March 2020

Questioning Leadership.

There’s a certain amount of confusion around the dreaded C issue at the moment. The government says that the schools must close, but added that some children will still be allowed to go to school. So how does that work? Nobody knows, apparently, which is why clarification is being sought because the government hasn’t been very clear on the issue. I remember the government once saying ‘carry on as usual’, closely followed by ‘it is likely that someone you know will die.’ Is it surprising that people panic and buy enough toilet rolls to last a family of six for at least a year?

It’s often said that at times of crisis people want strong leadership. I don’t. What I want is to be given accurate facts so I can make an informed decision with regard to how I proceed. I don’t want to be led. I’ve never been the sort to want to be led, and especially not by the people in Parliament. And that’s just one of the reasons why the present situation is encouraging my depressive tendency to gather strength.

There are others, some personal, but I really must keep the whingeing – however well justified – to a minimum.

My thoughts at the moment are being largely dominated by the dispute among historians as to where exactly the Battle of Hastings was fought. The Battle of Hastings has fascinated me for as long as I can remember, maybe because it changed the course of world history, or maybe because I was there.

No comments: