Thursday 17 January 2019

Regarding Rebecca.

I had to go back to Ashbourne today to get things I forgot yesterday. It was very different. Today was cold and sunny, which made a pleasant change from yesterday’s gloomy wet stuff. And it was marginally more interesting because I encountered the mysterious and mildly maddening Rebecca, sister of the oft-mentioned you-know-who.

I’ve mentioned her before on this blog. She’s quietly enigmatic and apparently given to a state of perpetual melancholy. Such a person begs to be known and understood to one such as me, but she never will be because she affords me no more than the most basic level of seemingly reluctant recognition. I find it all quite intriguing, but that’s life.

What was particularly interesting, however, was discovering that she has a new car. It’s a Volvo, and it struck me as a nice coincidence that a person who appears to be permanently glum – although she may very well not be to those who know her – should be driving a Swedish car.

Maybe it’s time I shut up about Sweden and glumness. It is, after all, only a harmless joke to fill up a space or two on the blog. And maybe it’s also time I allowed the enigmatic Mistress Rebecca to drift off into that remote corner of my consciousness which blog posts rarely reach. Whatever is driving her to live the life she is living is absolutely none of my business, and you can only explore those places you can reach.

No comments: