Monday 7 January 2019

Catwalks and Stuff.

Tonight’s episode of House was probably the most hard-hitting to date because it centred around the subject of sexuality in several of its most cringeworthy forms. The main guest protagonist was a teenage female catwalk model whose illness turned out to have been caused by the fact that she was actually an undeveloped male. She was very, very upset by this revelation because she was proud of her babe status and desperate to continue her glamorous celebrity career as a catwalk model.

A number of aspects bothered me, the main one being the fact that of all the occupations available to the human species, employment as a catwalk model strikes me as one of the most pointless. In fact, if there’s one thing which illustrates the parlous state of the modern human condition, it is the very existence of catwalk models.

*  *  *

I bought a new TV today, a small one by modern standards. As I was walking out of the shop one of the assistants asked me whether I would be OK carrying it to the car. It must have weighed about 7lbs at most. Has life and its facial lines really come to this? Can it really be true that the only way to stop yourself ageing is to die?

*  *  *

I learned quite a lot about Algeria earlier because somebody who comes from there thinks I’m not only nice, but really nice. It has a very rich and troubled history and is therefore quite interesting, but the names of tribes and towns and leaders made my eyes sore.

*  *  *

I wish I were interesting instead of just ageing. I wish I had something more interesting to say this evening, because what’s the point of writing a blog if you have nothing interesting to say? And I think Shakespeare might have got it wrong. What he should have written was:

All the world’s a catwalk
And all the men and women merely mannequins

*  *  *

I made friends with no dogs today, but I did learn that my new human friend, Christabel from the coffee shop, is leaving me for pastures new. She has a new job lined up as a care assistant. She’s going to be looking after old people, so I expect we’ll meet again before too long.

No comments: