Tuesday 1 January 2019

On Magical Kids and Mystical Animals.

I think I’ve mentioned before that I watch a lot of clip compilations from Harry Potter films on YouTube. (There are a vast number of them, and they’re endlessly inventive in combining clips with music to match the choice of theme.) And what I’ve noticed is that, for me, the irrepressible and universally loved Hermione Granger is at her most compelling at the start of the series when she is just 11 years old. So why is that?

It’s because at that age she didn’t need to learn magic. She was magic. She was the classic kid with character. Her voice alone was enough to arrest the attention, and so was her walk. Her emotional expression was free and captivatingly precocious. Her frown could freeze the milk in the churn, while her smile could melt an iceberg.

And then she grew up and became a magazine cover. As a boyfriend of my daughter’s said to her once: ‘Pretty girls are ten a penny. It’s character that counts.’ Yes indeed.

But that’s what humans do, isn’t it? They shake off the baby fat and enter the magical years when every gesture, facial expression and naïve statement projects character like a young stream in spate. And then it all fades as they start achieving things which the system tells them is the stuff of success, at which point they become ordinary and the magic is lost.

*  *  *

I just did one of those silly quizzes on YouTube. This one was to determine what my spirit animal is. I got panther.

It’s only partly right because my spirit animal changes according to the time of day, what mood I’m in, and whether I’ve had a drink or not. I get through spirit animals like I get through personality types. Well, almost. I reckon I’m a panther in the afternoon when I’m totally sober, but the rest of the time I’m mostly a bear.

But did I mention that I had an interesting dream recently in which I met a panther in the wood? We wrestled until we agreed on a tie and went our separate ways. Mel did tell me what meeting a panther means in mystical terms, but I don’t remember what it was. I reckon it’s all to do with the amount of cheese I eat.

Did I also mention that I’ve developed an addiction to cheese? I expect I did.

And I just realised that this is the first post of 2019.  Another step made, another milestone reached, another reason to seek madness or an ecstasy of longing which amounts to the same thing. (That's from a story I wrote in 2003. Doesn't time fly?)

No comments: