Wednesday 9 January 2019

Luxuries and Life.

I didn’t go to the coffee shop today. It’s my new resolution now that the house agent has increased my rent by more than the rate of inflation. I decided I need to economise, and that’s something I’m very good at because I’m well practiced and the methodology is really simple. You stop allowing yourself luxuries, and going to a coffee shop twice a week was my only luxury. I calculated that what cost me £2.10 in a coffee shop costs approximately 7p at home, so there’s no contest, is there? And having the will power to walk past the coffee shop is no problem either. That’s something else I’m very good at.

The good news is that I seem to be succumbing to a new condition. Last night I found myself thinking a lot about somebody I haven’t seen in Ashbourne for a couple of months. I kept imagining I would see her today, and you know what? I did – not once, but three times. How about that for a breakthrough? And it isn’t the first time it’s happened so it seems I’ve developed a chronic case of precognition. I definitely need Scully.

I also thought up a new metaphor for life today. Life is the water coming out of the shower head which runs over your body and then disappears down a drain at your feet. I seem to be becoming quite the collector of life analogies. Maybe I should invent a religion.

No comments: