Sunday 20 January 2019

On Independence and Perception.

I have more hospital procedures coming up over the next few months and the prospect is starting to trouble me, so let’s go over old ground for a moment.

I dislike the attentions of doctors and I dislike having to go to hospitals for tests, procedures and treatment. It makes me feel like a fish with a hook in its mouth, swimming free for a while but being reeled in every so often and left gasping for air in an alien environment. In short, I feel tethered, and I don’t like that at all. I don’t want clinical persons hanging around me; I don’t generally feel the need to be cared for and I don’t want to be the centre of attention. What I want is to have the freedom and independence to do my own thing in my own way and my own time. I want to be a fully functioning member of the species and never be at anybody’s beck and call. It’s what worries me so much about the prospect of growing old.

But suppose I had Munchausen’s Syndrome (I believe they call it Factitious Disorder now.) I would feel quite the opposite way, wouldn’t I? I would want as much attendance by doctors as I could get, and it would probably be caused by the driving need to be cared for and be the centre of attention.

So does that mean I have my own condition which is the very opposite of Munchausen’s, or is it simply another example of my favourite maxim: perception is the whole of the life experience?

I don’t know, but what troubles me more is my third question: suppose there isn’t anything I particularly want to do? Where do I go from there?

No comments: