Sunday 9 August 2015

Priestesses and Principles.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t contact the priestess ever again. She has a life to lead in which I have no part to play, so it seemed sensible to leave quietly and stay gone. (And I always keep my promises because if you don’t there’s no point in making them, not even to yourself.)

But she contacted me unexpectedly a few days ago and it was evident that I would have to write back because failure to do so would have been less than respectful. (And I have to be honest and admit that it also gave me quite a lift at an appropriate moment.) So that’s what I did, feeling duly entitled because it was a reply and not something I’d initiated.

I re-read the reply the next day and decided it was hopelessly inadequate, which persuaded me of the need to write again and say ‘My reply was hopelessly inadequate. Sorry.’ But I couldn’t because I’d promised not to contact her.

There’s a hole in my bucket, dear Liza…

Doesn’t life get ridiculously complicated when you have standards?

No comments: