Sunday 9 August 2015

Beware Greeks Bearing Similarities.

I just took the Oxford Dictionaries Online quiz to find out which classical hero my personality type most resembles. Apparently I’m Odysseus. Never heard of him.

Well, actually I have, but I can’t say I’m at all familiar with his exploits. That’s because I’m not the biggest fan of Greek myths. I read up on them once when I was due to take part in a TV quiz show and they depressed me to Hades. They’re too full of male characters who assume the god-given right to abuse women, but if the woman strikes back she’s consigned to posterity with the reputation of an evil stereotype. It occurred to me that the human animal hasn’t grown much in 3,000 years, and that the Judaic tradition isn’t the only source of male-centric arrogance. Let’s say I found them discouraging.

So, sorry Odysseus. For all I know you might have been one of the good guys, but I have no intention of looking further to find out.

No comments: