Thursday 14 October 2010

A Minor Concern.

I’m slightly concerned about something. According to Google stats, ‘Hacking at the Holy Grail’ is getting an unusually high number of views remarkably quickly. I have an image of several earnest people eagerly anticipating some lyrical treatise set in the rarefied world of Arthurian legend, or maybe a knowledgeable exposition on a mediaeval conspiracy theory. And what do they find? A silly post about that part of a lady that even ladies don’t talk about, except among themselves and only when they’re adequately fortified with a pint of Bailey’s Irish Cream. Or so I’m told.

Maybe I should explain. The title was the most alliterative I could come up with, given my need to reflect my own attitude to the part in question. Several other options were also fraught with the potential for misinterpretation, and had I gone for a less oblique, more openly functional title, I would have been guilty of showing a lack of imagination. Which wouldn’t have done.

And there’s more. Some of my posts are intended to be taken seriously, while others are tongue-in-cheek. The problem with tongue-in-cheek is that it doesn’t work unless it’s written in a quasi serious style. And that’s something we Brits do a lot of; it’s a national characteristic. So how do people who are not used to it tell the difference? It takes time.

Thank you for listening. I do hope no gaskets were blown along the way. I love the Arthurian legends too, you know, and nobody knows what the Holy Grail is supposed to be anyway. Chretien de Troyes died before he could spill the beans.

No comments: