Wednesday 18 December 2019

Mixed Fortunes.

Today presented a regular catalogue of malfunctions and mistakes which caused no end of delays, frustrations and general annoyances. Days like that happen sometimes, don’t they? Today happened to be an extreme example of the genre.

But some small relief was at hand when I bumped into Lucy in Ashbourne. Lucy is the woman I’ve mentioned quite a few times over the years, the ex-dental nurse who made that splendid joke about teaching me the corpse pose when we were discussing the issue of my cancer shortly after the operation.

What’s interesting about Lucy is that she manages somehow to divide my reaction to meeting her into conflicting states. Part of me feels an involuntary attraction to her presence, while another part feels an odd reluctance to get too close. I’ve attempted a coherent rationale to this curious condition and come to a tentative explanation:

Lucy seems to know me better than she has right or reason so to do. The evidence of things she’s said suggests that she’s an unusually perceptive person who gets into your mind with almost preternatural speed and incisiveness. Being so well known is, on the one hand, flattering. On the other hand, however, I’m not at all sure that I want to be so well observed.

There’s also the fact that she seems to command the space in which we’re talking. She stands confident and unmoving, while I fidget nervously around her. I don’t, of course, not physically at least, but it feels as though I am. And this is a perception of relationship with which I’m almost totally unfamiliar. I sometimes wonder whether Lucy really exists, or whether she’s a phantasm made manifest by a fevered imagination.

Today’s other little bright spot was provided by the manager of the Costa Coffee ladies. She blew me a kiss when she discovered that I’d left a little gift in recognition of their consideration and general niceness. I was so grateful for the distance between us. Any closer encounter than that would have caused me some disquiet, a fact which can be traced to an unfortunate incident when I was around age 10. More on that another time, perhaps.

No comments: