Friday 27 December 2019

Choosing the Right Diversion.

I just watched a performance of Cirque du Soleil’s Varekai on DVD. There’s no denying the skill on show, but it isn’t really my sort of thing. I was, however, impressed by the ladies on the static trapeze. It occurred to me that to be a lady trapeze artist you need to be young, slim, attractive, supple, strong, and very brave. Life doesn’t come much sexier than that, does it?

(And oddly, it was while watching their performance that I realised one of the main reasons why I’ve never been able to stay with one woman for any length of time. More on that another time, but please be assured that it has nothing to do with either sexual orientation or a rakish propensity. It’s more tragic.)

I also have to admit that I fast-forwarded through most of the performance of the contortionist-cum-acrobat in her sparkly, skin tight suit with nothing underneath. At my age it was just a bit too much.

Off to read another MR James ghost story now. That’s much more sensible – far better suited to a chilly, foggy night in late December while sitting alone in an old Edwardian house and noting the occasional strange noise breaking the silence of the deep, dark landscape. It’s good to be able to relate to one’s entertainment.

No comments: