Tuesday 17 December 2019

Denials and a Missing Constellation.

I’ve mentioned a few times that my poorly left leg won’t allow me to take my beloved walks along the lanes and footpaths of the Shire at the moment. It occurred to me tonight that the problem not only denies me a fundamental pleasure, but also removes a fertile area for the making of blog posts.

I got quite a lot of posts out of the walks, particularly the night ones I was in the habit of taking through several winters. I particularly remember the cascade of pulsating blue lights around somebody’s fir tree at Christmas, and the ghostly appearance of the Lady B’s cottage one night when it was both misty and moonlit. And then there were the strange noises which were difficult to identify even when they were obviously close by.

The leg issue also prevents me making my trips to the city centres of Stoke and Derby, since the distances involved are too great to countenance while the leg is being denied its proper blood flow. Nowadays, in an environmental sense at least, I’m restricted to my house, my garden, and the little market towns of Ashbourne and Uttoxeter. All other meanderings have to be done in my mind, and the effort of wringing something out of them for the blog is becoming tedious.

I did go out briefly tonight, though, to let next door’s cats in and feed them. As I was coming back, and it being a clear, starlit night, I looked for my old friend Orion whose presence used to offer some curious comfort on the longer nocturnal perambulations. Orion wasn’t there.

I thought back to the night walks, and was sure that Orion was always in the southern sky at this time of year and that time of night. But a scan of the clear view from east around to north-west by way of south revealed no sign of him.

Can this be so? Can Orion really have gone AWOL? I very much doubt it, but I don’t know what else to conclude. So if you happen to be out at night and catch sight of him, would you please pass on the message that I miss him and the southern sky just isn’t the same these days. This is what he looks like in case you don’t know:

No comments: