Tuesday 10 December 2019

'Like one that on a lonesome road...'

‘I sometimes wonder,’ I said,’ whether there were creatures from other dimensions loitering around me when I used to take those walks at night.’

‘Doubt it,’ she replied. ‘If such creatures exist, I expect they’re sleeping soundly in these more rational times.’

‘But I’m not of these more rational times,’ I offered with a hint of hesitation. ‘Maybe they woke when I moved among them, and sniffed the air in expectation of an encounter.’

There was one night when my route took me along Church Lane towards the copse that stands on the highest point of the road overlooking Mill Lane and the valley. As I walked, the conviction grew to absolute certainty that there would be something among the trees that would not allow me to return without serious injury of some sort, either physical or mental, and I truly felt a level of terror to which I’m entirely unaccustomed. When it became unbearable I turned and hurried homeward, checking the road behind me every few yards.

That much is true, ashamed as I am to admit it, and I hadn’t read anything from the pen of MR James that night to explain my lack of fortitude. Tonight I have, sitting here in my old Edwardian house with the dark December night being suitably punctuated every now and then by a mournful, moaning wind. There are times when the past and present match nicely.

No comments: