Monday 9 December 2019

Dimensions and Things.

I watched a YouTube video last night in which a couple of eminent physicists discussed the question of whether the physical world contains more dimensions than the three we’re used to.

They talked a lot about gravity and space-time, and not being a physicist – much less an eminent one – I admit that a lot of what they said went floating off into a black hole somewhere over the rainbow. And yet I was left with the impression that the whole of the universe is contained in a small bubble floating in a vast ocean with a very large number of other small bubbles.

I struggled to know what on earth that had to do with extra dimensions, but it didn’t seem to matter. I just felt frustrated at wondering how I’m supposed to know what to look for in this life when even the experts can’t tell me what reality is.

And, of course, this is quite separate from the theory that there are many unknown life forms occupying the same space as us, only we’re unaware of them because their sub atomic particles vibrate at a different rate than ours. That one does, at least, have the advantage of being easy to follow.

And then there’s the question of parallel universes…

This is the point at which I begin to wonder whether we’ll ever really get to the bottom of why cocoa tastes nice.

No comments: