Monday 30 December 2019

An Odd Christmas and Other Bits.

Christmas was a strange one this year. The first few years I lived in this house I treated the living room to a bit of a makeover, with fairy lights around the window and some minor adornments with tinsel and baubles. It looked rather nice when I was still having an open fire at night because such a scene is one of the foremost Christmas icons in this part of the world. And then I stopped bothering and largely ignored Christmas.

Until this year when it wouldn’t let me ignore it, but instead insinuated its presence into my mind almost constantly. The feeling it produced wasn’t a cheery one, though, but more like some invisible presence being darkly insistent. Rather like the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, in fact. Make of that what you will; I have no idea.

*  *  *

Meanwhile, the self-service tills at Tesco short changed me by 80p today. I managed to get redress from the woman supervising the area, but I still wondered: does this happen often? If so, what does Tesco do with its ill-gotten gains? If it uses them to help fund a home for stray dogs and cats I’d be quite happy, but if they’re sequestered and used to bolster the staff Christmas party funds I would have some misgivings. I’m mean like that.

*  *  *

I saw Lucy in Uttoxeter again today. It’s odd, isn’t it, how you can go a year without seeing somebody, and then bump into them twice in a couple of weeks? She was wearing a funny hat and managed to express her desire to be moving on without actually saying so. Lucy continues to intrigue. She makes absolutely unwavering eye contact and I can never tell whether she’s observing me or dismissing me patiently. So familiar, and yet so far away.

*  *  *

I kept thinking today about Ruth’s death scene in the film I praised to the heavens last night – Never Let Me Go. Most screenwriters would have made quite the Dickensian meal of that scene, but not this one. We see Ruth lying on the operating table having some organ removed, and then the mask and respirator are taken away and we know she’s dead. Scene over. No explanation was needed because the audience had been told to expect it without actually being told, if you see what I mean. I do so love such subtlety and restraint; it makes the pathos so much more powerful. Forget Disney, Hallmark and all things Hollywood. This movie was made on a much more rarefied plane.

No comments: