Friday 13 December 2019

A Difficult Read.

I’ve finally got around to reading The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. I've been promising myself the treat ever since I saw and greatly enjoyed the film version (re-titled The Innocents) starring Deborah Kerr and Megs Jenkins. But oh my word, what an education it’s proving to be in terms of the writing style. I’m finding it surprisingly difficult and have to apply every ounce of concentration to keep up with the narrative.

What’s interesting here is that we expect the style of writing to change as time goes on. The Early Modern English of Shakespeare, for example, is regarded by many as too dense to follow, and if you go back to the Middle English of Chaucer, it becomes all but unfathomable even to well practiced readers.

But The Turn of the Screw was written in 1898, several decades after Dickens and the Brontës, and yet their prose is clear and relatively simple. In fact, I’ve said before that Charlotte Brontë’s style is the smoothest, silkiest prose I’ve ever read and I skip through it.

The contemporary short stories of MR James are written in a style not wholly dissimilar to that of his namesake, Henry, although it’s definitely less dense. Maybe this is because MR was English and Henry American. Maybe the different idioms of UK and US English are responsible. But they both exhibit, to a modern reader, a maddening tendency to write excessively long sentences replete with clauses – often wholly unnecessary – couched in unfamiliar terms and thrown around like confetti in an unruly wind.

So what is it about these fin de siècle writers which makes them feel the need to be so cumbersome? Is it something to do with the whole fin de siècle ethos – the rise of cynicism, geopolitics, and a sense of impending decadence?

I don’t know. All I can say is that I’m glad we got over it and along came the likes of Nabokov and John Fowles. Reading them is as easy as falling off a log, and I think I might confine myself to later 20th century authors in future. I do intend to finish The Turn of the Screw, though. I’m brave like that.

Hope this post wasn’t too cumbersome. Merely boring.

No comments: