Friday 27 December 2019

A Mother's Message.

It’s been very noticeable over the past month or two that the birds and animals in my garden have been coming much closer to me than they’ve ever done before.

I don’t know why that should be, and being me I’m naturally inclined to wonder why. Are they simply getting used to me? It seems unlikely since at least four generations of garden birds must have come and gone over the 13½ years I’ve lived here. And I doubt it’s the weather since what little winter we’ve had so far has been fairly mild.

There was a squirrel sitting by my car when I went down the garden this evening, and it stayed put even though I was only a few feet away. No squirrel has ever done that before. And when I came back to the house I found that somebody had accessed an old blog post of mine about the sanctity of motherhood. I read it myself, and suddenly it began to dawn on me that maybe I’m becoming too infected with the stain of negativity lately, and that perhaps I’m too inclined to confuse reality with cynicism.

And then I wondered whether the birds and animals are messengers from a sacred source (and considered whether I’m talking about myself too much these days.)

No comments: