Tuesday 10 November 2020

Thank Heaven...

I was listening to a piece of music on YouTube tonight which was accompanied by paintings of little girls looking adorably little girlish, and I found myself wondering whether it’s a shame that little girls have to grow up and become women. I’m sure it isn’t, but it does raise a point.

Little girls are relatively simple. All you have to do is take care of them, give them everything they want, and make damn sure nothing ever gets close enough to threaten them. Even their occasional tantrums are cute.

And then they grow into young women. At that point they draw you inexorably towards them with emotional magnets – against which resistance is useless – while scattering the path along which you’re forced to walk with broken glass.

And now I’m wondering whether that makes me a misogynist. I’m quite sure it doesn’t because most of my heroes are women. But it does make life complicated.

No comments: