Friday 27 November 2020

Exciting Day, Exciting Life.

I had a recurrence of that old gastro-intestinal problem this morning and felt quite unpleasantly ill for a while. And then we had a power cut because some men were cutting branches off a tree around the corner. So, since all activities requiring electricity were out of bounds, and since I didn’t really feel up to doing anything in the garden, I decided to go to a hardware store in Ashbourne to get a couple of things I need. Only the hardware store didn’t have either of them so I came back again. The power was still off, damn it. It came back on eventually, so then I celebrated by removing the old nest from the nest box behind the kitchen so the birdies would be able to start afresh in the spring. That was my kind deed to round off an exciting day.

Sometimes I realise how lucky I am to be blessed with such an exciting life, while other poor souls have to make do with potholing and skydiving and boring stuff like that. And it helps that I’m nearly at the end of my novel which I’ve been re-reading. I’ve encountered dryads, nyads, little people, centaurs, the Oracle, the Loch Ness monster (who is really rather nice), demons, hungry ghosts, normal ghosts, the great god Pan… I’ve helped rescue a witch from execution by Puritans, and been killed and brought back to life again. And I’m shortly about to watch the pyramids being built. And that was only part of my adventure with Annie and Rabbit.

So tell me, how does jumping out of an aeroplane at 10,000 feet compare with that little lot? I’m not entirely sure how it should be spelt, but it would be something along the lines of pfff…

And it will be my birthday in less than two hours, when I will become a day older than I have been all day today.

No comments: