Thursday 12 November 2020

Spoiling Romania's Best Ambassador.

I’m currently watching Francis Ford Coppola’s film Bram Stoker’s Dracula again. It used to be listed among my favourites on my blog profile, but I’ve removed it. It displeases me now.

I think the main reason is Coppola’s overblown flights of stylistic fancy. In my opinion they’re self-indulgent and unsuited to the dark, Gothic nature of the story. Consequently, I see them as nothing more than an ego trip. I’ve been at the point several times of becoming more aware of the director than the plot, and that can’t be a good thing. Once the artist becomes more important than the art, we’re on the slippery slope. Or so it seems to me.

I also have to say that Keanu Reeves’s attempts at both righteous indignation and a refined English accent fall rather short of the mark. Together they portray Jonathon Harker as being even more ineffectual than Stoker wrote him. And then there’s the matter of Winona Ryder’s ears…

No comments: