Thursday 12 November 2020

Matching the Animal.

I saw two women out riding horses today. The horses were tall, slender and elegant. The women were tall, slender and elegant. And then I saw a short, thick-set woman with a broad head walking her two bulldogs down the lane. Seems to be true what they say about people and their choice of animal companions.

I asked myself whether I had a favourite breed of dog these days. I couldn’t think of one. It used to be the Border Collie and I used to have a Border Collie. Seems I was a Border Collie type back then, and she was one of the biggest lights of my life. But now? No idea.

I wonder whether this indicates that I’ve lost my sense of personal identity since I can’t think of a dog to represent me in the table of equivalents. Probably not; it probably indicates what I already know. Dogs belong with people and I don’t.

Two people told me, in quite different circumstances, that my totem animal is the bear. That sounds about right, especially the grizzly bear. Bears don’t belong with people either.

No comments: