Thursday 26 November 2020

On Me and the Next Number.

I imagine I must be repeating myself when I say that I’m having difficulty writing this blog at the moment. The combination of lockdown and my innate reclusiveness makes it difficult for me to find anything to talk about.

One thing I do find amusing, however, is reading all the headlines and analyses around what the government says I’m not allowed to do at the moment, because I didn’t want to do any of it anyway. (Apart from sitting in a coffee shop to observe the ragged multitude, I suppose. I do miss that one.) And I realise that lockdown has far wider implications for most people than it does for me. Most people are people people who need occupations and diversions and regular communion with like souls, whereas I’m not. My problem is finding a like soul to commune with. They’re very rare.

(I just realised something. Any person out there with whom I wish to commune should feel privileged, shouldn’t they? They should. I’d never thought of it like that before. And I’m kidding, of course. I’d be horrified to think I had that much ego.)

*  *  *

I have a birthday coming up on Saturday, and I’m at an age where birthdays are something to be dreaded, or at least ignored. I got a bit depressed about it recently, and then a little voice in my head told me that you don’t become a year older on your birthday, you just become a day older than you were the day before. It helped (a bit.) I wonder why we humans – at least those of us in ‘developed’ cultures – are so obsessed with numbers.

4 comments:

Della said...

Greetings J.J.,

I was just thinking about your blog and how long it's been since I've checked in. How are you? Happy to hear you seem well though I've only scanned the last few posts.

Yes, the American election was a stress test for all of us. Tr*mp & Co. indeed have psychological problems, and his enabling Republicans are morally bereft. What's harder to grasp is the poor character analysis skills of almost half the U.S. voting population. But that's putting it nicely.

We are still doing fine in Berlin and I've veered away from writing to art (linocut) which I find far more rewarding. Daughter is still in Edinburgh and son in NYC, where he's been since the start of the pandemic, but both doing fine and will be home for the winter holidays.

Nice to see you are still writing and wishing you a very happy birthday,

Della

JJ said...

How nice to see you again, Della. I half wondered whether you'd been consigned to the Black Hole of Berlin charged with being an undesirable alien. I read somewhere that the Germans weren't terribly keen on President Tantrum.

You probably didn't get back far enough to read the post in which I said I thought America needed re-inventing. I'm uneasy about saying something like that because I don't suppose it's any of my business, but I've long felt that America has such enormous potential for good, but is held back by a culture full of dubious values. I suspect Wilde wasn't entirely joking when he made his famous 'barbarism to decadence' quip, and I think it's that basic fact which the whole Trump fiasco laid bare.

As for me, health issues aplenty. I'm growing very tired of them all and the concomitant trips to the Royal Derby Hospital. But they're always been splendid in their treatment of me and their evident dedication to a worthy cause, so at least I can feel mightily blessed that we have the NHS over here.

Good to hear that the kids are well. Hope they have no problem getting back for Christmas. And good luck with the linocuts (although I have to be honest and admit that I'm not all sure what linocuts are.)

Della said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your health issues, I can't imagine what a drain that is especially at this particularly dark time of year. Yes, thank goodness there's the NHS.

Lots of LOLs on some of your other remarks (are you familiar with this silly textspeak or whatever the acronyms are called?). With kids you find yourself using them. I couldn't locate your post on the reinventing of America but that sounds about right. They're having a very serious identity crisis and I don't know where it will end. The entire MAGA concept is a false premise unless you've been one of many privileged white males but it's amazing how many people don't get it. I could cautiously comment on British politics and how I see a national identity crisis brewing there as well, but it isn't really my business, except that my daughter lives there so maybe it is a little - lol.

Are you still publishing short stores on another site? I remember really enjoying them. On the subject of books, I've recently discovered Tom Cox (20th Century Yokel & Ring The Hill) who also publishes his musings on his website. Do you know his work? He writes about nature and folklore, interspersed with random reflections and humorous observations.

Thank you for your kind wishes J.J., and stay well.

JJ said...

I assume you're referring to the Scottish independence question. I must admit, I'd be sad to see the Scots leave because they're very much a part of UK national identity just as the English are. (It's even rumoured that it was the skirl of the pipes which defeated the French at Waterloo, and not those damn Prussians who usually get the credit.) But if they want to leave, I don't think Mr Johnson or anybody else has the right to stop them. I see a bit of the old Tory mentality in Boris sometimes.

And no, I haven't posted anything to the stories site for some years. Ran out of stories. I think A Fairytale of Philadelphia was the last one.