Monday 11 May 2020

Screwing With the Season.

This spring is proving to be an unusual one – very dry and very sunny, but with temperatures vacillating between modest June and modest February. I sometimes find myself walking around parts of the garden with a watering can while chill winds encourage me to wear a coat and woolly hat. It feels unnatural. More to the point, it leaves me with that constant nagging sense of waiting impatiently for summer to start in earnest.

But what sort of summer will it be this year? People like to be out and about in the summer – sitting outside coffee shops and café bars with their cappuccinos and iced drinks, taking weekend trips to the tourist spots, grilling pieces of dead animal on their barbies while assorted friends and family sniff the air expectantly – and Covid isn’t likely to be settling down for some months yet. And so I wonder whether this year’s season is going to go down in living memory as The Great Wasted Summer.

No comments: