Thursday 21 May 2020

Natural Changes.

I sat on my lawn today watching little dust devils careering around the field on the other side of the lane. That field was ploughed and raked recently so the soil is fine, but we’ve had no rain for weeks and now it’s becoming pale and dusty. My thoughts turned to Of Mice and Men, and it struck me that I was looking at a real dust bowl. In miniature.

And now I have a second rabbit burrow and a second pile of soil gracing my flower beds. The first one is on the north side of my garden, the second on the south, so maybe they’re not separate burrows at all but simply two accesses to the same one running under the garden. I considered having signs made carrying names like ‘Embankment’ and ‘Oxford Circus’, but decided it would be a bit silly.

No comments: