Saturday 23 May 2020

Scraping the Barrel.

So what should I write about today, since nothing of great note has happened?

I suppose I could mention that the local thermometers have an identity crisis and think they’ve suddenly become yo-yos. The temperature was 26°C when I went to Ashbourne on Wednesday. Today it’s 12°. It’s been doing that all spring. And the wind has risen to gusts of at least gale force, showering the garden and my car with a comprehensive layer of seeds, leaves and bits of dead branch from the nearby sycamore tree. And the sky has turned grey, grim and gloomy, which makes me miserable.

I suppose I could also mention the mystery of the disappearing pheasants. I used to have six hens invading my garden and helping themselves to the food on the bird tables. Now there appears to be only one. My suspicions incline towards the local foxes.

Further afield, it was amusing to see Biden having to apologise and go into damage limitation mode over his remark about black people. And he isn’t even President yet. Shame for all those good Americans looking for a leader and being faced with a choice between Biden and Trump, both of whom need to keep the closet door tightly shut, and neither of whom exactly inspires confidence. But I suppose it’s their fault for giving one person so much power. We don’t do that sort of thing in Europe. The American Presidency now resembles a vaudeville warm up routine, and we got over that with events like the Restoration, the French Revolution, and the defeat of Hitler. The Russians and Chinese haven’t caught on yet, but maybe they will eventually.

So there you have it. Nothing to say. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: